Great Falls College MSU  ›Catalog  ›Admissions

Admissions - Admission Requirements

MSUGF Application Application [PDF]     Other MSUGF Admission Forms Other Forms

Please note that any documents submitted to the College during the admissions process become the property of GFC MSU, and will remain a part of the student’s admission and/or conduct file. All students must apply for admission, be accepted to the college and have a completed admissions file prior to registration in courses.

  1. Complete and Submit Application for Admission: Applications for admission may be obtained from Admissions at the College or click on the application link above. Prospective students are encouraged to consult with the Recruiter for information about selection of a program and financial aid before submitting their applications. Call 406-771-4414 or 1-800-446-2698 (in Montana) to arrange for an appointment with the Recruiter. Per Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education Policy 940.2, "Each campus of the Montana University System shall charge a non-refundable application fee of $30 to each applicant for admission to a graduate or undergraduate program."

  2. Furnish High School and College Transcripts:Applicants to any program must submit copies of high school transcripts, high school diploma, or GED scores to Admissions. These records must be final and include the completion/graduation date. High schools must be accredited by the appropriate state office of public instruction. In order to receive transfer credit, official college transcripts must be sent directly to the College from each regionally accredited college or university attended. College transcripts submitted from other institutions cannot be released or duplicated, as they remain the property of the institution.

  3. Furnish Immunization Records: In order to be in compliance with Administrative Rules of Montana, updated June 2007, students born after January 1, 1957, taking seven (7) or more credits OR enrolled in a certificate/degree/transfer program must submit proof of TWO vaccinations against measles (rubeola) AND TWO against rubella (German measles). Immunizations must have been after 12 months of age, the second no earlier than 28 days after administration of the first dose. No measles vaccination given before 1967 is valid and no rubella vaccination given before 1969 is valid. Immunizations must be documented by a physician, registered nurse, or school official; or submit blood draw (Titer test) results proving immunity for BOTH measles and rubella ; or submit documentation of having contracted measles and rubella. Documentation by a physician is required including dates of illness; or documentation of a file for a medical or religious exemption; or show proof of age, if born prior to January 1, 1957. Such evidence must be submitted before students will be permitted to register for courses. For more information about the Administrative Rules of Montana regarding immunizations, visit the link below:

Admission Types

First Time/Freshman Students
First Time/Freshman Students are degree seeking students, who have never attended college before or have less than 12 credits of transfer work. They are required to complete all admission requirements. A one-time $30 application fee must accompany the Application for Admission.

Transfer Students
Transfer students are required to complete all admission requirements listed above.  In addition, credits from other regionally accredited postsecondary institutions may be accepted as they apply to the established course requirements of Great Falls College Montana State University under the following guidelines:


Re-admission to the College
Students who have previously attended Great Falls College MSU must re-apply when they have been absent for one semester, excluding summer. Re-admitted students must complete the Application for Admission, which is available in Student Central or on the College's website at Re-admitted students will have to furnish all required application materials if they have not already done so.

Re-admitted students must follow the graduation requirements for the catalog under which they are re-admitted. Previously earned credits will be evaluated on the basis of the current degree or certificate requirements. Credits earned 5 or more calendar years earlier will be reviewed by the appropriate Division Director, program director and/or Registrar, who may require repetition of any course in which the content has substantially changed. Re-admitted students will be required to go through the new student registration processes.

Those students applying for re*admission after serving at least one term of academic suspension must complete an Admissions Academic Progress Appeal Form along with the Application for Admission. Such appeals will be reviewed by the Registrar’s Appeal Committee before the student is informed in writing of the re-admission decision.

Admission Requirements for Non-Degree Seeking Students
Non-degree seeking students must complete and submit the Application for Admission. For students taking courses with prerequisite requirements, an appropriate placement exam score, a challenge exam, or transcripts demonstrating successful completion of prerequisite courses will be required. A one-time $30 application fee must accompany the Application for Admission.  Non-degree students wishing to take more than 6 credits will be required to provide proof of immunization. Please note that non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.


Early Admission
High school students may be admitted and allowed to register for college-level courses provided they are academically prepared. This process shall be confined to students who present evidence of the ability and maturity to do college work. This admission requires that the high school principal or counselor approve participation of a student in the college level courses. High school students may earn college-level credit to be applied to a degree at Great Falls College MSU or to transfer to another college or university once they graduate from high school. Course records for students will be entered and maintained on a Great Falls College MSU transcript. Early admission students will also have to furnish all required application materials if they have not already done so.


Home School Admission
Home school students must submit the admissions application and application fee, a notarized copy of the home school curriculum, two letters of recommendation from people other than family members, a parental approval form if the student is under 18 and immunization records if the student is degree seeking and/or taking more than six credits. Home school students must complete the ACT, SAT, or COMPASS test prior to enrolling at the College. Home school students will also have to furnish all required application materials if they have not already done so.


Nonimmigrant Foreign Students
Great Falls College MSU is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant foreign students. Each nonimmigrant foreign student is required to furnish the following documents in order to be considered for admission:

  1. Completed Application for Admission accompanied by a $30 non-refundable application fee;

  2. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores from an accredited testing service. A minimum score of 500 is the acceptable standard on the paper-based test, 173 on the computer-based test and 61 on the internet-based test. More information about TOEFL may be obtained from the Education Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08540 or on the following websites: and;

  3. Proof of completion of the equivalent of an American high school education with satisfactory grades. Transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service to make this determination. Please contact Admissions & Records for a list of credential evaluation services;

  4. A Declaration of Finances or other present evidence of funds necessary to pay all living expenses and travel to and from the college;

  5. All nonimmigrant foreign students must show a physician-validated immunization record for measles, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, and skin testing for tuberculosis. The evidence must be presented before a student will be permitted to register;

  6. Evidence of an accident and sickness insurance policy or one of equal coverage for each semester in attendance at the College.

After a nonimmigrant foreign student has completed all of the above items and returned the required forms, his/her admission file will be reviewed and a letter will be sent indicating either acceptance or denial of admission. Upon acceptance, the College will issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant F-1 student status.